|I am a Software Business Consultant based in London. My focus is on the business side of the software development. To do this often means addressing the technical side, I am fortunate to have a number of very talented associates who help with specific technologies.|
I started my career coding (Pascal, C++, C, Java), after a sojourn in Silicon Valley I returned to London and realised I could fix the code problems. The more significant problems were what we were building and how we were building. That led me to an MBA, Patterns, Product Management, Agile and writing two books.
***NEW*** Xanpan - the book - read more about Xanpan
Agile Reader 3rd edition now available: printed Agile Reader from Lulu and ebook Agile Reader from LeanPub
Buy Xanpan eBook on LeanPub
Buy printed Xanpan book on Lulu
Business Patterns for Software Developers micro-site
Coming Soon... 50 Shades of Scrum
What I do
I am the founder of Software Strategy Ltd which offers:
- Training in Agile Software Development
- Training for Business Analysts in Agile Software Development
- Technical training to support Agile Software Development, specifically Test Driven Development for C++, Java and C#
- Introduction to Kanban Software Development and applying Lean thinking to software development
- Consulting in the adoption of Agile and Lean Software Development approaches - including Agile Coaching and Kanban Coaching
- Software Product Strategy primer training course
- Advice and consulting for Product Owners and Product Manager - including introduction training courses and workshops
- Development reviews and health checks
For more information see the Software Strategy training pages.
I specialise in helping companies that produce software to sell or to provide a business service. Typically my clients are companies in the ISV or SaaS space but I also work with corporate IT departments on occasion.
Past clients have included: Virgin Atlantic Airways, Merrill Lynch, lastminute.com (part of Sabre Tavelocity), BBC, Fugro, Thompson-Reuters and many others - a longer client list with case studies can be found on the Software Strategy web-site.
Public Agile training courses with open enrolment are offered in conjunction with Skills Matter (in the UK), Develop Mentor (in the UK and USA), and Developer Focus and Program Utvikling (in the UK and Norway).
Events & Speaking engagements
I am a regular conference speaker and a list of past and future events is on this page.
I have written extensively on: Agile Software Development, Software Development Management, Design Patterns and the technical aspects of software development; and I am the creator of Retrospective Dialogue Sheets.
I have written two full books:
- Business Patterns for Software Developers is now available and can be purchased from the publishers (John Wiley & Sons), Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com (the best for reviews), Ozon and other sites. Earlier versions of these patterns are can be read on this site under business patterns.
- Changing Software Development: Learning to be Agile was published by John Wiley and Sons in January 2008. You can buy Changing Software Development at Amazon now.
Encapsulated Context design pattern was included in Pattern Languages of Program Design (volume 5).
More writing on software design and software development management of software teams, and Agile software development. Also allan's blog is here.
A full list of public training courses in Agile and Lean is available on the Software Strategy site.
History, Education and awards
I hold a BSc degree in Combined Science (Computing) from Leicester University and an MBA at Nottingham University Business School - I was awarded the Best Overall Student prize in my MBA class.
Earlier in my career I was an software engineer specialising in C++ on Unix and Windows. During this time I worked for companies in the UK and California including: Reuters, Southern Electric PLC, BZW bank, Sema Group (Railtrack A-Plan) and others.
- I am a recognised Kanban Coaching Professional (KCP).
- I qualified as a PRINCE 2 Practitioner Project Manager in 2008 but have never renewed my status (I have never used it in anger and disagree with much of it).
- I completed Product Manager training with Pragmatic Marketing in 2005 and spent several years working as a product manager.
- I am an active member of the ACCU and Hillside Europe (the organisers of the EuroPLoP Patterns conference).
- I have twice been honoured with the Neil Harrison Shepherding Award, at EuroPLoP 2005 and VikingPLoP 2007.
e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter, @allankelly.net.